Types of tests
The bacteriological laboratory of the Kyiv Perinatal Center perform the following types of tests:
- the contents from the mucous membrane of the throat and nose on the conditionally pathogenic microflora;
- urine with the determination of the bacteriuria degree;
- microflora of the genital organs on the conditionally pathogenic microflora;
- tracheal aspirate, bronchial wash water (newborns);
- breast milk;
- gastric contents;
- amniotic fluid;
- blood (hemoculture) and umbilical cord blood of newborn, CSF (cerebrospinal fluid);
- qualitative determination of β-hemolytic streptococcus (which is the cause of premature birth and complications in newborns in the early neonatal period);
- evaluation of the sensitivity/resistance of isolated microorganisms to antibiotics.
The bacteriological laboratory conducts examinations on the allocation, identification, and determination of sensitivity to antibiotics of pathogenic and conditionally pathogenic microorganisms.
According to the results of the bacteriological laboratory, your obstetrician-gynecologist forms the prognosis of further pregnancy, resolves issues on the appointment of antimicrobial therapy. The neonatologist interprets the results and decides on the advisability of appointing the antibiotic therapy for newborns.
The employees of the laboratory annually carry out the bacteriological examination of more than 5,000 pregnant women and newborns of the Kyiv Perinatal Center, 1,000 patients of the Gynecology Department, more than 1,500 patients of the specialized consultation at the Kyiv Perinatal Center, performing more than 30,000 microbiological tests per year.